Thursday 6 October 2011

A new season.....

Well today as I braced against the cold winds on my motorbike I found myself sending silent prayers above for the Lord to quick help me find a garage to check my tyres. Since I got the bike I seem to have had rather a few problems, the latest being a flat tyre. I managed to get the tyre pumped up and hopefully with enough time to find a garage. The one I went to wasn't open so I found myself trying to find another garage with someone's vague directions...leading me outside of the town and into quieter villages. I'd helpfully left my mobile phone charger in Kent at a wedding last weekend and was waiting to pick up another charger sent by parent by post!

Am I crazy i thought? Driving around a town I don't know, with a tyre that might go down at any minute and no phone on me. Was it a sign I was pretty nuts to have a bike in the first place? Probably:) After various wrong turns and mishaps I found myself back at the college, only to notice another garage much closer to home! The guy at the garage reckoned it wasn't a punture but that the tyre wasn't fitted properly and there was a leak on the seal. I'm hoping that the tyre will stay up long enough for me to drive the 12 miles to the garage I bought it from in the next day or too. It seems I need a good old rant with the guy I got it from...who also needs to fit a centre stand (which should have come anyway), and amongst other things find out how to open the seat so I can get the manual out, sort the dashboard which doesn't show when you signal, stop it reverring to 4000 in 1st...etc....... Thank God for a warranty!

However I shouldn't complain cos today I got some great driving done and practice. As I started going outside the town, I enjoyed the sun shining accross the meadows and the amazing feel of the wind, the best bit about riding. It was also an amazing gift to have been bought the bike, something I couldn't have done alone.

So though I wasted a morning of study I am thankful that the Lord was with me and I managed to get plenty done this afternoon. So yes I have moved up north. I'm now studying theology and live in central England. I'm enjoying the change from work though I did enjoy working in Psychiatry. Living in a new place also means new places to explore and new people to meet. The Bible college is in a great little town and shares a building with a church which I've enjoyed attending so far. There are only about 20 people in all three years - two thirds of which commute in, some from quite far as all the lectures are on Monday and Tuesday. The rest of the time is ministry experience and self directed study. As the course is non-residential, people live in and around the town. I'm staying with a lovely girl who is similar in age and we seem to have a lot of things in common.

Now that freshers week is finished and the studying begins I'm beginning to take stock of where I am. Having 3 days of the week away from lectures means you do have to be organised with your time so you do study. It also means a challenge for building community when so many live away from the town. There are only about 7 of us that actually live locally. Some of us are meeting for coffee tomorrow which will be nice, and perhaps think too about how we can continue to meet in the week when we are not in lectures, to keep up community and compare how we are getting on in our studies.

Today I recieved a lovely gift in the post. A beautifully done album of black and white photos of the town down south, where I've come from. It choked me up inside to see such a precious gift made by two friends of mine. It also bought home to me what great friends I have back home. I had to remind myself that getting to know firends in new places takes time (after all I've only been here two weeks!) so not to feel sad about leaving but look forward to new adventures, knowing I will be able to keep in touch with my exisiting friends too.

Well now I think I'll settle down to a non-academic book for the evening, Amber the cat is doing little snores next to me on the sofa, completely confused by this added addition to the household!

No comments:

Post a Comment