Wednesday 6 November 2013

The love of God Part Two: Compassion

I am learning lots about the love of God again and thought i would share my thoughts in a little series. I have been reminded of one of my favorite words in the bible! Its this wonderful Greek word. Its called "spangchizomai". It really does sound like a swear word! This was one of my favorite words in the Bible at bible college and I have been reminded of it recently. It is the Greek word for compassion. It literally means this: to be moved at the seat of ones inner being for the plight of others. Some versions say moved from ones gut or even bowels! It is a gut wrenching powerful compassion. It is a compassion for the sick, the lost, your enemy, your neighbor. It is selfless and not a love just for the beautiful or our friends. It is love for the hurting. Jesus is described as being moved in this way. Mark 1:41 uses this. Also the Samaritan story in Luke is an example of this too. I uses to get this sense with patients of mine that were deeply traumatized. what an awesome word. This is the heart of Jesus. This is the heart of his love. What a great God. I pray that the lord would help me know this level of compassion for each person I meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment