Friday 13 January 2012

Being an adrenaline junkie can be unhelpful for our relationship with God


No-one can make you (not even God) spend time in His Presence. You have to make that time. 
 
Be Still And Know that I am God (Ps 46:10)

Even now I have to remind myself on a weekly basis, 'don't do too much!' Sometimes I find this hugely frustrating. I have friends who manage to fill so much into their days and sleep hardly at all. 'Not fair!' I think sometimes. 

Over the last two days I have been thinking how actually a slower way of life can be a lot healthier for our relationship with God. Hearing God in the 'fast lane' is not easy unless you can hear Him in the 'slow lane.' I'm learning year by year that slowing down and spending time alone is important if I'm going to hear God clearly. Yes we can hear God in the fast lane, but unless we can practice hearing him in the slow lane when we are on our own, we will not be able to hear him in the former.

I think in this day and age when we don't have many commitments and responsibilities (at least not at the young age my parents did) its easy to live an adrenaline junkie filled life. The world is our oyster, we can do anything, go anywhere. But this restless jumping from one activity to another doesn't enable us to stop and take life seriously, asking God 'What do you really want of me in this time, in this season?'

So can I encourage you and me to STOP!

"Lord help us to slow down and make time to hear Your voice in this new year of 2012. Help us to enjoy Your  amazing presence and take time to be still and to tune in, to get away from others and the distracting activities that stop us from taking time out with You. We acknowledge that You are Present all the time and we are sorry for when we don't make time to hear Your voice. We love you Lord Jesus. Please speak to us this 2012 as we choose to carve out time to talk with You. Amen."


No comments:

Post a Comment