Tuesday 6 September 2011

Do you ever wonder what is going on with God's timing?

"For everything there is a season, a time for every activity under heaven" (Ecclesiastes 3v1)

Do you sometimes look back on a period of time and wonder, "What was that all about, God?" I do! As I filtered through my emails earlier today and realised the majority of it was junk mail, I thought I could do with filtering through the last two weeks in my mind too. The last two weeks have gone by in a bit of a blur. I have  moved the majority of my belongings to two different places, attended a wedding, visited sick friends, prayed over family situations and made a new friend. Lots seems to have gone on and I'm looking forward to the next week of rest and R&R to process and filter through it all. I've not really had time to sit down and spend quality time with God over the last few days but the verse above has been ringing in my head.

I don't know about you but I often associate Ecclesiastes 3 with funerals and find the passage rather depressing. Is the writer of Ecclesiastes an atheist or existentialist? He sometimes expresses some confusing theology. The book reminds me more of 'The Outsider' by Albert Camus than the Bible! However he has a point. There seems to be times when God decides things are meant to happen and times when they are not. In other words his timing is perfect! Sometimes this is absolutely frustrating! Why do I make a new friend down south when I'm about to move up north? Why is my friend sick when I'm moving away from her? Why why why?

I think the writer of Ecclesiastes is reminding us that God knows that there is a time and place for every activity. We may wonder why this thing happened when it did, but he may have another plan, completely different to the one we intended. Maybe even better than we imagined. God only knows and once again what do I have to do??? Trust Him!!! Ahh back to that again. My blog seems to have a repeated theme: Surrender!

No comments:

Post a Comment