Friday 22 April 2011

Where is my allegiance?

I recently had to write an essay on the subject of Jesus' teaching on the Kingdom of God, with particular reference to 'The Sermon on the Mount' (Matthew 5-7) and Matthew 13 (sometimes called 'the Parables of the Kingdom'). Since then I can't get these passages out of my head! I've stopped reading the Bible through from Genesis as I was doing and seemed to have stalled quite literally in the Sermon on the Mount for weeks! But in a good way! God is revealing things to my tough-skinned mind and heart and trying to soften me, humble me and teach me things I've not yet grasped. I think the sum of what I'm being challenge about is this:

"Where is your allegiance?"

Ok I know I'm in a relationship with the Lord, he has saved me..but it's more than that. As Stott says on the Sermon on the Mount, "the citizens of heaven are called to put God first in their motives and their actions, in their business and their language, in their thought life and their priorities. All life comes under his royal control" (p89 of BST The Message of Matthew, 2009, 7th ed). Jesus' teaching is clear that citizens of heaven enter the Kingdom through repentance and belief in Christ (Matt 3:2). However Jesus clearly shows there is more to it than that. The mark of a believer is a life that lives out and practices the teachings of Jesus. Our Christian walk is a journey and living Kingdom lives is about obedience to Christ and putting Him first above all other things.

We can have allegiance to lots of things and put our value on those things over Christ. I find myself asking questions like 'Am I putting greater value on being respected and approved by others? Am I putting too great a value on my possessions and what I own? Where is my primary love? Is it for Jesus and His Kingdom or other things?'

The Sermon on the Mount is best summed up in Matthew 6:33:

"But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you........."

I don't believe that this means that we will never suffer or have hard times...after all it says in the Beatitudes "blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness" (Matthew 5:10) and Jesus himself felt the pain of those cruel nails in his hands on the cross. But I do think that if we have His Kingdom and His righteousness as our primary focus then we don't have to worry about the necessities of life (what we will eat, wear, etc.....see Matthew 6 v 19-32).  

Reading passages like the Sermon on the Mount can leave us thinking 'is this lifestyle attainable, realistic?' However if we are in relationship with Christ and have the indwelling of the Spirit we do not need to fear. As Paul says in 1 Corin 4:20, "the Kingdom of God is not a matter of talk but of Power" and the Spirit will help us in our weaknesses and provide us with victory in areas of our lives that put a drag wind on our walk with Him.
 
So as I blog on the Kingdom of God, starting with the Beatitudes next, I hope and pray that the Lord will challenge and change me. I want a re-focusing in my life. Hopefully it will bless and encourage you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment